Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> on Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:12:08 -0500, "Green, Paul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:

> Paul.Green> I have ported OpenSSL 0.9.7c to the Stratus VOS operating
> Paul.Green> system.  Thanks for providing such a high-quality porting
> Paul.Green> base; it made my job much easier.  I am attaching the
> Paul.Green> patches to this letter.
>
> I'm taking a first serious look at it.  Sorry for the delays, there
> were a number of things before this in my queue.

No problem.

> Paul.Green> I have verified the patches against version 0.9.7d, and
> Paul.Green> this patch file is against that newer version.  I also
> Paul.Green> tested the patches on a Solaris system to ensure I didn't
> Paul.Green> break anything.
>
> Windows?  That seems to be a culprit more often than not.

Unfortunately, I do not have a Windows development environment. I'll look
into acquiring one before I submit any future patches.

> As far as I can tell, all the changes are acceptable, at least for
> 0.9.8-dev (I need to do further checks before accepting it into the
> 0.9.7 branch), except for the following:
>
> Paul.Green> 3. apps/Makefile.ssl.
> Paul.Green>
> Paul.Green> I applied the executable suffix in all applicable rules.
> Paul.Green> I commented out the running of the openssl command,
> Paul.Green> because (a) it doesn't work in a cross-development
> Paul.Green> environment and (b) the top-level "test" rule runs it
> Paul.Green> anyway; this reference is redundant, as far as I can tell.
> Paul.Green> (I think that the makefiles should put a chinese wall
> Paul.Green> between building and testing, so that cross-platform
> Paul.Green> builds never try to execute any files).
>
> While I understand the cross-compile argument, the certificate
> rehashing isn't just there for "make test", it's there for anyone who
> wants to try out any certificate-checking openssl command.  Therefore,
> it is part of the build itself.
>
> At the same, it's really silly to have exactly the same rehash done in
> Makefile.org and in apps/Makefile.ssl, thanks for making us aware of
> that...

Thanks for taking the time to look at my proposed changes.  Clearly, not
many people have attempted to build OpenSSL in a cross-development
environment (or at least, not many people have submitted patches in this
area).  I think that some of these things are a matter of taste, and I
respect your judgement.  My only suggestion would be to consider having
distinct makefile rules for some of these sub-cases, so that (say) those of
us who want to cross-build could type "make cross-all" and not invoke any
rule that executes any code.

Again, thank you for your efforts on behalf of OpenSSL. It's a great
product.

Thanks
PG
--