[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Fri Jun 11 17:02:20 2004]:

> On June 11, 2004 10:34 am, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> > rt> I see. The problem seems more about the model used by AEP
though.
> > rt> Ie. we could use CRYPTO_thread_id() instead of getpid() (because
> > rt> unless CRYPTO_set_id_callback() is called, this devolves into
> > rt> getpid() anyway).
> >
> > And that will not help one bit, as far as I can tell, since
> > CRYPTO_thread_id() should return the thread id (which is the same as
> > the pid with Linux Threads), so basically that solves the problem by
> > reiterating the exact same problem...
>
> Of course this is not desirable long-term, but for now it would
provide a
> way to move forward and verify what's going on and how to fix it. In
> particular, I've no idea about the AEP interface and what it is
supposed
> to do - eg. the leaks that were reported may or may not be cleaned up,
so
> getting the if(I've forked) handler to run at the run time would solve
> this.

???????????????????????

Either you don't understand what I'm saying, or I don't understand the
issue.  I'm reiterating: on Linux with LinuxThreads, pthread_self()
returns exactly the same as getpid().  The normal thing to do would be
to have pthread_self() as callback for CRYPTO_thread_id().

And either way, replacing getpid(), which *normally* gives the same
value for all threads in the same process, with something that's
guaranteed to give different values for the different threads in the
same process doesn't feel like a good test to see if the process has
forked.  The library is bound to think that each thread is a new process
on all architectures if we use CRYPTO_thread_id() instead if getpid(),
and that's the exact issue presented in this ticket.

How on earth can replacing getpid() with CRYPTO_thread_id() be a
solution to this issue?

--
Richard Levitte
[EMAIL PROTECTED]