On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Andy Polyakov wrote:
>
> > I haven't audited the proposed patch yet, but I'd like you to explicitly
> > state what happens if the "noise" driver is not installed at end-user
> > system and provide a pointer to the driver (I know you've provided one
> > back then, but please send it once again). This would be of value to
> > mention in INSTALL.DJGPP. In fact just write a paragraph *as* if it was
> > meant for INSTALL.DJGPP. A.
>
> I'll try to write this in the next few days. The "noise" program was
> recently released under a more liberal license (originally it was under
> the GPL). I need to verify some changes in the package with the author,
> then I'll plan to make it available from my website. Actually the
> INSTALL.DJGPP needs revision. It is now about 2 years since I wrote it,
> and I see that the URL cited for obtaining DJGPP is no longer valid.

Here is a revised version of INSTALL.DJGPP, which should be applicable
to the 0.9.8 and the 0.9.7 branches. Let me know if you think it needs
any additional revision. The file should be an attachment to this
message.
                           Doug
--
Doug Kaufman
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 INSTALLATION ON THE DOS PLATFORM WITH DJGPP

 Openssl has been ported to DOS, but only with long filename support. If
 you wish to compile on native DOS with 8+3 filenames, you will have to
 tweak the installation yourself, including renaming files with illegal
 or duplicate names.

 You should have a full DJGPP environment installed, including the
 latest versions of DJGPP, GCC, BINUTILS, BASH, etc. This package
 requires that PERL and BC also be installed.

 All of these can be obtained from the usual DJGPP mirror
 sites, such as "ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp"; or
 "http://www.delorie.com/pub/djgpp";. For help on which
 files to download, see the DJGPP "ZIP PICKER" page at
 "http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/zip-picker.html";. You also need to have
 the WATT-32 networking package installed before you try to compile
 openssl. This can be obtained from "http://www.bgnett.no/~giva/";.
 The Makefile assumes that the WATT-32 code is in the directory
 specified by the environment variable WATT_ROOT. If you have watt-32
 in directory "watt32" under your main DJGPP directory, specify
 WATT_ROOT="/dev/env/DJDIR/watt32".

 To compile openssl, start your BASH shell. Then configure for DOS by
 running "./Configure" with appropriate arguments. The basic syntax for
 DOS is:
 ./Configure no-threads --prefix=/dev/env/DJDIR DJGPP

 You may run out of DPMI selectors when running in a DOS box under
 Windows. If so, just close the BASH shell, go back to Windows, and
 restart BASH. Then run "make" again.

 OpenSSL requires a source of random data in order to perform secure
 cryptography. Random data may be limited in the usual DOS setup,
 causing OpenSSL to sometimes fail with an error message that the
 PRNG (pseudo-random number generator) has not been seeded. You can
 avoid this problem by installing a device which collects random data
 and makes it available to OpenSSL. One such device is "noise", which
 creates character devices "RANDOM$" and "URANDOM$" (also known as
 "/dev/random$" and "/dev/urandom$") from which data can be read. Noise
 is generally installed from the config.sys file. You can get "noise"
 from "http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/index.html";