On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 15:16 -0500, Rich Salz wrote:
> > My point is that OpenSSL does work even if the list of certificates does
> > not comply to to RFC2246 ...  which seems bad to me
>
> What's bad about it?  I suppose there's a DoS risk if you have to look
> through a big cert list to build a chain, rather than just checking
> "n+1".  But is that worth, e.g., potentially breaking interop with
> existing (buggy, admittedly) SSL implementations?
>
> Did you have another rationale for the change?

My "internal" rationale had more to do with consistency in the tools and
solutions we offer: We have Java based and C based implementations of
the same security code. In this scenario the Java one actually presents
the user with an error while the C one works which ends up being
somewhat confusing for users.

If you feel that tightening up is not worth the risk that is fine. We'll
either just carry a patch or ignore the problem. I really just wanted to
gauge the situation.

Also, in general I feel that more compliance checking (especially if it
doesn't really cost anything) is better than being more permissive, but
since this is a fairly mature area of development I would understand if
the risks outweigh the benefits.

/Sam

--
Sam Meder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
The Globus Alliance - University of Chicago