Andy, please put the following in the README for OpenSSL:

FreeBSD SSE Support:

FreeBSD's kernel can be recompiled with one or more of the following
options to enable SSE2 instructions, depending on the level of
brokenness of your motherboard:

#
# CPU_ATHLON_SSE_HACK tries to enable SSE instructions when the BIOS has
# forgotten to enable them.
#
# CPU_ENABLE_SSE enables SSE/MMX2 instructions support.
#

See the LINT file for your version of FreeBSD, kernel recompilation
instructions are in the FreeBSD Handbook.

Ted