Hi Richard,

I'm reasonably familiar with that code, having spent some time debugging it
over the years.  I've experienced the thread-safety issues (eg. walking the
heap snapshot while threads are simultaneously being created/destroyed),
slow performance with the same section of code, and the crash/hang I
mentioned.  I think I also experienced some additional NT4-specific problems
some years ago.

I'm guessing that Microsoft figure that obscurity adds a little more
security -- not to say they're relying on security-through-obscurity, but
that if an implementation is secure and private it's possibly a little more
secure than an implementation that is secure and public; at least I can
understand why they think that.

> Do you have an idea on how to make things more stable ...

No, that's the problem, I don't see much of a way to make this code more
secure when it's doing the kind of things that it is.  When I say that some
of the things that the code do are exotic, I mean that they're not usual
operations performed by most applications out there and as such bugs
involving those functions are less likely to be found and fixed -- the Lotus
Notes uninstall for example produced an unstable environment but when no
other applications are exercising that functionality then it's less likely
to be found; I doubt the customer cared too much when we told them it was a
poor Lotus Notes uninstall, to them it was our application that wouldn't
function after install.

I have a suspicion that the thread-safety could be improved by doing the
heap walking in DllMain (which I believe to be called in a single-threaded
mannor) but putting such a mechanism into OpenSSL that would also be used by
DLLs that link in the static library build of OpenSSL isn't
straight-forward.

Regards,

Steven