In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Sat, 07 May 2005 13:47:09 +0200, Andy
Polyakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

appro> >     Actually, C on VMS/Alpha knows very well what a long long is, and
appro> >     knows how to make use of it.  So let's stop pretending the Alpha
appro> >     doesn't know long long...
appro>
appro> And who said we were pretending? SIXTY_FOUR_BIT defines already
appro> BN_ULONG as long long...

True.  Wrong wording.

appro> >   --- openssl/makevms.com      11 Jul 2004 20:30:33 -0000      1.42
appro> >   +++ openssl/makevms.com      6 May 2005 13:33:16 -0000       1.43
appro> >   @@ -274,6 +274,7 @@
appro> >    $   WRITE H_FILE "#endif"
appro> >    $!
appro> >    $   WRITE H_FILE "#if defined(HEADER_BN_H)"
appro> >   +$   WRITE H_FILE "#define BN_LLONG"
appro> >    $   WRITE H_FILE "#undef SIXTY_FOUR_BIT_LONG"
appro> >    $   WRITE H_FILE "#undef SIXTY_FOUR_BIT"
appro> >    $   WRITE H_FILE "#define SIXTY_FOUR_BIT"
appro>
appro> BN_LLONG may not be defined along with SIXTY_FOUR_BIT, as it
appro> normally has devastating effect.

Not quite true, really, since the SIXTY_FOUR_BIT section in bn.h
undefines BN_LLONG :-).

appro> It works on VMS/Alpha only thanks to inline BN_UMULT_HIGH
appro> assembler and shall stop working the moment you disengage it
appro> with no-asm [or whatever is equivalent on VMS]. If this is
appro> somehow is spinning around pqueue problem, then I find it more
appro> appropriate to eliminate dependancy from BN_ macros, rather
appro> than trying to squeeze it to where it doesn't belong in. A.

I think I was confused by the conditional at the beginning of bn.h
that undefined BN_LLONG for all VMS architectures, which was
essetially correct, according to what you say.

It's just that there are some really odd errors BN_ULLONG and the
pqueue stuff.

I'll look at it again...

Cheers,
Richard

-----

Richard Levitte                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis