tim> > Hmm...  I personally do not support SCO products for political
tim> > reasons, so I'm not going to offer much about them.  However,
tim> > it looks like the CC and CFLAGS variables do not follow along
tim> > in the build for some of your platforms, and that has me a bit
tim> > worried.  I'll look at it today or tomorrow...
tim> tim> If you have access to a Solaris 8 box you can see the problem
tim> there.  GNU make works and the system make does not.
tim> The CHANGES file did not mention requiring GNU make now.
tim> Has this changed for 0.9.8 or is it a bug in the Makefile?

It's a bug in the Makefile.  Try a later 0.9.8 snapshot and check if
it makes a difference, or try the beta that I'm gong to release
tomorrow.

There are couple of edges remaining, which I work on and fix today. A.