I guess it was erroneously omitted in some newer release. Try to patch your run-time environment by executing http://www.openssl.org/~appro/values.c and report back. The patch is designed to work with both old and new GCC releases. A.

With this patch it works on both my Solaris x86 machines

SunOS elk 5.8 Generic_108529-23 i86pc i386 i86pc

Linker bug is apparently elder than this and I can confirm that it's still present in SunOS 5.10 x86[_64].

What makes OpenSSL so special that it hits this bug in the GCC
runtime?

Custom .init segment which claims 16-byte alignment. Not aligning it makes it SEGV with elder GCC compilations, and aligning - with newer ones:-( Suggested patch to run-time environment makes an arrangement so that it works with either:-) A.