On 4-Jun-2005, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Sat, 4 Jun 2005 04:31:21 +0200 (CEST), Andrija
Antonijevic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

openssl> I am using OpenSSL on an architecture that has a shared
openssl> library model in which the arguments are passed through the
openssl> (32-bit) registers and for which passing the arguments whose
openssl> size is larger than 32-bit would create some problems.

I assume you're talking about VMS, or is there another architecture
involved as well?  Would you mind telling me the VMS version and C
compiler version?  Is it on VAX?  Can you tell me a little more about
the problem?  See, I assume you work on Alpha or ia64, otherwise
pqueue would use BIGNUM for PQ_64BIT (because VAX doesn't have 'long
long' according to our configuration parameters), so I've a hard time
understanding the argument about 32-bit registers.

It's not VMS, it's AmigaOS. Some compilers don't have 64-bit variable support so I thought VMS changes would be useful. The shared library model is compiler independent, but passing of larger than 32-bit arguments in shared libraries is not supported on some compilers.

This can be worked around, but I think it would make more sense to have pitem_new and pqueue_find take pointers to PQ_64BIT arguments, ie. I think it would be better to have BIGNUM * passed than the whole BIGNUM structure.

For systems using 64-bit BN_U[L]LONG for PQ_64BIT, there should be no performance penalty (or a very minimal one, but this doesn't seem to be a performance critical component).

Andrija