On Thursday 09 June 2005 12:37 pm, Eduardo Pérez wrote:
> > see the fun people had in upgrading from 0.9.7e to 0.9.7[fg] on x86_64
> > linux
>
> Wow!!! I didn't know there were breakage even there.
> But, that wasn't made on purpose, was it?

no, i'm pretty sure it was just a simple mistake that is fixed in the current
0.9.7 branch ... then again i really havent researched beyond fixing it in
Gentoo ...

> Do you know if there are more people interested in keeping API/ABI
> compatible?

you're overlooking the fact that the soname is set to the full version of the
library ... when you go to link with -lcrypto, the libname
'libcrypto.so.0.9.7' is recorded in the NEEDED section of the elf instead of
'libcrypto.so.0' ... so unless you have 0.9.8 install its library as
'libcrypto.so.0.9.8' (which it wont), applications are going to break
-mike