In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Thu, 13 Oct 2005 22:51:13 +0200, Andy
Polyakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

appro> 1. One can "cook" some #ifdef spaghetti in dso_dlfcn.c [and
appro>    others as required].
appro> 2. One can fix affected link_o targets to adhere to suffix
appro>    hardcoded in corresponding dso module.
appro> 3. One can pick alternative suffix for dynamically loadable
appro>    objects, e.g. .eng, and use it on *all* platforms.
appro>
appro> I'd personally prefer the last alternative. I'd even scrap the
appro> prefix...  Is there a platform which would fail to dynamically
appro> load object with arbitrary extension? It's not a problem on
appro> Unices nor Windows... What about VMS? But this option is
appro> appropriate for next major release. My second preference is #2. A.

It can probably be done on VMS as well, but would be regarded as
*highly* irregular.  On VMS, the normal extension for shared libraries
is .EXE, unconditionally.  I doubt you will ever find a shared library
on VMS with a different extension.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

Richard Levitte                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis