> great: -Bsymbolic solved the problem!
>
> I'll try to pass that information over to the apache httpd project,
> because that's useful for anyone who wants to build apache 2 with
> dynamic mod_ssl but with OpenSSL linked in statically.

Note that it doesn't necessarily mean that there is nothing one can do
in openssl code. On the contrary there is. It's possible to ensure that
relocation problem *never* occurs. However! It should *not* discourage
people from using -Bsymbolic. I mean -Bsymbolic is not just a cure for
this particular problem, it's The Right Thing(tm) to do, which happens
to fix this particular problem too.

As for the "contrary." I have applied fix to development branch,
http://cvs.openssl.org/chngview?cn=14547 and am closing this ticket. It
also should fix a problem with outdated gnu assembler failing to compile
the module in question. The fix can be backported to 0.9.8 if more
people suffer. A.