On Dec  1 12:43, Rick Jones wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >I'm wondering about this anyway.  While the exact code of CryptGenRandom
> >isn't open source, MSDN has a quite extensive description how the random
> >numbers are generated by CryptGenRandom, see the Remarks section in
> >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/seccrypto/security/cryptgenrandom.asp
> >which also talks about the entropy sources used.
>
> Being otherwise blissfully ignorant of things Windows, does this snippet
> from the URL above:
>
> "With Microsoft CSPs, CryptGenRandom uses the same random number generator
> used by other security components."
>
> imply that CryptGenRandom might be satisfied by code other than that from
> Microsoft described in the URL above?

You omited the next sentence:

"This allows numerous processes to contribute to a system-wide seed."

I understand this as "every process using one of the Microsoft CSPs
will internally access the same random number generator."  As if, say,
every process uses /dev/random on Linux.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Project Co-Leader