My original post didn't make it to the openssl-users@openssl.org users list, but I think I've found the problem now: In OpenSSL 0.9.8a, _FILE_OFFSET_BITS is defined in bss_file.c. This is a very strange place: It means that all other units will not see this definition. If I configure with:

./Configure -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 linux-elf

...the problem goes away: Both the openssl tool and rdesktop now correctly passes the off_t_problem.py test.

So, I think _FILE_OFFSET_BITS should not be defined in bss_file.c but rather somewhere else.

Regards,
Peter Åstrand