On Jul 21 11:23, Andy Polyakov via RT wrote:
> > I sent a patch to provide a solution for platforms that have addrinfo.
> > Basically, if you do not have addrinfo, you cannot expect IPv6 to
> > work.
>
> My comment was not about having IPv6 working without addrinfo, but about
> not breaking platforms which don't have one.
>
> > I was looking for a feedback about this particular solution for
> > platforms that support IPv6.
>
> And feedback is "no, it's not the way it should be done, because we
> can't have different branches for platforms that have addrinfo and those
> which don't."
>
> > Supporting legacy platforms was not my primary goal _at this time_
>
> Well, it is ours at all times and you have to respect that:-) Well, the
> goal is not really support legacy platform at all costs, but rather not
> discontinue if compatibility can be achieved by maintaining certain
> discipline.
> [...]
> OK, to be absolutely sincere. It's not about what Microsoft [or RedHat]
> supports for the moment, but about exercising above mentioned
> discipline. It's not about looking for excuses, but exploring maximum
> possible extent of portability. Is it possible to write code which
> adapts itself to run-time environment? Regardless whether run-time is
> supported by vendor or not? How complicated is it? Forget that you're
> RedHat employee, become programmer instead:-) But this is getting
> off-topic. DSO_global_lookup was not the point I wanted to emphasize!
> DSO_global_lookup is mentioned only because you'll have to cope with it
> in HEAD branch. The main point is that changes of this character should
> be *conditional* for backward compatibility and you have to play by this
> rules. A.

Just as a side note to Jan.  Cygwin is a Red Hat product as well and the
current release doesn't support IPv6 and getaddrinfo for now.  I have a
developer branch which adds IPv6 support to Cygwin, but this work will
hit the streets only in a few weeks or months.

Of course I wouldn't like to see OpenSSL suddenly breaking on current
version of Cygwin just because IPv6 (resp. getaddrinfo) is used
unconditionally ;-)

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen