Hi,

> What I would like to see is a single Makefile doing both in one go,
> which simplies things a lot, e.g. considering the openssl binary, the
> following procedure is needed:

As long as that does not disable the ability to build static libs _with_
-fPIC flag (there are people who want to be able to build shared
objects that use a fixed (i.e. static) openssl library, which requires
the static lib to have been build with -fPIC on most architectures),
why not do such a change?
However, I fear that's complicating things more than the saving of
2 or 3% in size is worth.

           Regards,
                      Stefan