On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 08:03:43PM +0100, Goetz Babin-Ebell wrote:

> Hello Ralf,
>
> via RT wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ openssl s_client -connect mail.buuuuuu.ch:25
> > -starttls smtp -debug
> [...]
>
> I have a patch for s_client which allows arbitrary (textual) handshake
> before the TLS handshake starts...

The SMTP protocol requies you to send the EHLO command before you
send STARTTLS.

See http://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-dev@openssl.org/msg20600.html
for a patch that adds an -ehlo option.

(It also has some discussion of you about a more generalised way of
doing it.)

Anyway, s_client's -starttls currently takes 2 protocols as argument,
smpt or pop3.  I think it should just properly implement those
protocols.  For SMTP that would mean sending the EHLO before STARTTLS.

Kurt