Annie Yousar via RT wrote:
> Dear all,
> Bleichenbacher's attack shows that it was possible to forge a PKCS #1
> v1.5 signature signed by a key using exponent 3.
>
> Unfortunately the implementation of the OpenSSL command
>       openssl genrsa ...
> allows only to create keys with exponent 3 or F4. Nevertheless the new
> RSA key generation routine RSA_generate_key_ex available in 0.9.8 works
> already with arbitrary exponents.
>
> The included minor patch of apps/genrsa.c adds a new option for exponent
> selection to the genrsa command.
>
> Because OpenSSL version 0.9.7 doesn't use RSA_generate_key_ex with
> exponents BIGNUM but unsigned long, this patch is applicable to version
> 0.9.8++ only.

principally I'm not against such a change but I wonder how useful this
feature is (or, in other words, how likely is it that a user selects
a good exponent if [s]he doesn't want to use f4 and not something
like 1) ? Another alternative might be to let the user specify a range
from which a randomly generated exponent is used ...
Btw: your patch removes the description of the '-3' option.

Cheers,
Nils