The obvious application is web serving, which I assume (perhaps naively)
accounts for a substantial majority of private decrypts performed using
openssl

While this data isn't applicable to the internet as a whole it may provide you with some insight into this.

http://netflow.internet2.edu/weekly/20070820/

Given this context I have to admit that I have effectively misused "throughput" term in my posts. I should have written "amount of private key operation requests per time unit" and speculate about its effect on overall service time becoming unnecessary high at low request rate.

Moving back to the original context the relevant data would be amount of connections being established and *among them* amount of connections triggering private key operations, not summed up TCP throughput or even packet size distribution. As for "amount of connections triggering private key operations." In SSH context every connection established triggers one, but connection rate is rather low as connections are commonly held for relatively long times. In HTTPS context connection rate can be high, but not every connection triggers private key operation thanks to session context being reused for connections to same server. A.