Darryl Miles wrote:
David Schwartz wrote:
Why are you doing a shutdown(WR) in response to a read()=0 ?  Euh!
[...]
Did you miss the "on the local drain file descriptor" part?

No.  read()=0 means the shutdown(WR) was performed on the remote end!

Darryl, David Schwartz tries to point out that you are really confusing the sockets in my TCP example (4 sockets in total). I suggest that you read the example more carefully, it's all there.

There is 1 TCP socket in the remote process.

There is 1 socket (e.g. Unix domain socket, doesn't matter) in the local endpoint process.

But the example mainly focusses on "our" example proxy process in the middle, and its 2 sockets: 1 TCP socket towards the remote TCP endpoint process, and 1 socket towards the local endpoint process that is the source&drain of our proxy.

In the example as described, the shutdown(WR) is done by the *PROXY* on its socket *TOWARDS THE LOCAL ENDPOINT* (the local drain).

====

Anyway, I think that everyone's opinion is abundantly clear by now, and immobile.

I feel that both of you are being Cathedral-like where it is wholly avoidable. ("It is complex and Must forever remain just as complex. Only high-priests of the mysteries of SSL, those who could build OpenSSL anew of the top of their head, must Ever use the outward-facing public OpenSSL interface")

I imagine that you feel I'm being very obstinate and lazy.
("This user does not want to learn every intricacy of the SSL protocol, but wants to learn the API of the library from the documentation alone." "Sheesh!")

I do not see a fruitful continuation of this discussion for any of us. Cheers,

  Nanno