Hello,

I have just compiled openssl-0.9.8g on Sparc Solaris 10. Compilation works just great - not a single problem with `make test', thanks a lot! - except everything related to shared libraries does not work out of the box. Specifically, libssl.so and libcrypto.so fail to find dependent libraries. Same is true for all shared libraries under `engines' directory.

I know that this has been discussed before (see -rpath and --with-rpath in the list archives). I would like to suggest a different solution which happens to be what other programs typically do. If there is LDFLAGS memory variable defined, just pass it down to Makefile.

To implement this change, only one line in the Configure script needs to be changed:

# diff Configure Configure.orig
1380c1380
<       s/^SHARED_LDFLAGS=.*/SHARED_LDFLAGS=$shared_ldflag $ENV{'LDFLAGS'}/;
---
      s/^SHARED_LDFLAGS=.*/SHARED_LDFLAGS=$shared_ldflag/;

If LDFLAFS is not defined, no harm is done except an extra space ;)

I have tested it with
LDFLAGS=-R/usr/tools/lib -R/usr/tools/lib/sparcv9 -R/usr/tools/ssl/lib

and I run
./config --prefix=/usr/tools/ssl --shared

With this small change, a user can easily add rpath to the libraries and executables.

Regards,

Andy

Dr Andy Tsouladze
Sr Unix SysAdmin