The engine interface operates at too low a layer to directly accellerate
HMAC.  This is unfortunate since it means even on hosts with crypto
hardware that can do HMAC quite fast, it ends up using raw digest operations
and being slower than software (because of the system call overhead to do
each digest operation of the HMAC).

The result is that a number of engines disable all hash accelleration.

What would be a reasonable way to fix this?  I will gladly contribute the
code back to OpenSSL if I can get any kind of feedback that it would be
accepted.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."         - Noam Chomsky