The DTLS code makes some assumptions that it is using a UDP socket BIO
to detect the timeout condition for resend.

When using another BIO type (e.g. BIO pair) on read, this does not work
properly.

  - Ariel

Pavel via RT wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This problem was described by Martin Vladic, but i cant find it in RT.
>
> Here is description:
>
> "Let's suppose that handshake between client and server comes to the
> point where client sends this message flight to the server:
>
> Certificate
> ClientKeyExchange
> CertificateVerify
> ChangeCipherSpec
> Finished [this message is protected]
>
> So, client comes to the stage when all subsequent messages shall be
> protected. In above message flight only last message (Finished) is
> protected. First four messages are unprotected. That's all OK.
>
> To continue, client needs following response from the server:
>
> ChangeCipherSpec
> Finished [this message is encrypted]
>
> What happens if such message doesn't arrive? Retransmission timer
> expires and client must send last flight again.
>
> But, OpenSSL DTLS implementation doesn't handle this situation very
> well. It sends the last flight of messages, but all messages are
> protected because implementation thinks that CipherSpec and keys are
> negotiated. I think that only last message must be protected, and
> first four must not (like it was in first transmission of the same
> flight)."
>
> Also, when client retransmits his last flight (5 messages), message
> "retransmit:  message 4 non-existant" is printed to stderr.
>
> Even if client resends correct last flight (encrypting only Finished
> message),
> server will not retransmit his last flight (2 messages).
>
> Pavel

 - Ariel Salomon / Senior Software Engineer
Real-Time Innovations (RTI) / www.rti.com
408 990-7439 / [EMAIL PROTECTED]

RTI - The Real-Time Middleware Experts