On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 08:45:12AM +0200, Sander Temme via RT wrote:
> 2) Have the engine provide its own callbacks that get set in case the
> application does not provide (presumably more suitable) alternatives:

I think it would be entirely sensible for OpenSSL to offer a build-time
configuration option to implement default locking/id callbacks using
pthread functions like this.  It would be necessary also to link
libcrypto against -lpthread and/or use the -pthread compiler flag, to
avoid only picking up dummy libc stubs on some platforms.

That seems far better than requiring every single OpenSSL application to
implement exactly the same code over and over again- and in fact for
many to do so incompletely, omitting the dynamic lock support.

joe