I haven't made any announcements for some time because there has been nothing to announce. We're still waiting. The last inquiries from the CMVP, which seemed fairly routine and minor, were all (I believe) satisfactorily responded to as of September 9. I have no indications that the CMVP is deliberately delaying or rejecting this submission -- it is after all very similar to the previously validated submission #918, only cleaner and tighter. I also have no indications that the submission is currently under active review or when we may expect any information on its status. Experience has shown that status inquiries directed at the CMVP are counterproductive at best, so I'm in the dark.

To those companies and individuals I'm hearing from almost daily with pending plans to use this validation, I'm sorry, I wish I could be more helpful. A couple of months ago I was fairly confident that we would have it Real Soon Now. Very similar to the prior validation, no political opposition this time that I know of, cleaner tighter code and documentation, pending validation backlog reportedly normal, what could go wrong? The shortest FIPS 140-2 validation I've participated in took about three months, the longest over five years. So my current prediction is that this validation will be awarded no later than April 2013. About the time OpenSSL 1.6 is released :-)

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
Open Source Software Institute