Hi,

Building lynx+ssl on a shared Debian host led me to look for rpath
support in openssl.

I see in ./Configure that it's 'standard' for *BSD -- but not Linux.

This straightforward, previosuly discussed post/patch,

  http://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-dev@openssl.org/msg20741.html

seems to address the problem.  For me, it works,

 cd openssl-0.9.8i
 patch -p1 < ../rpath_openssl.patch
 ./Configure --prefix=$HOME/ssl --openssldir=$HOME/ssl shared --with-rpath ...
 make depend
 make install

 pkg-config --libs libcrypto
        -Wl,-R/home/pg/ssl/lib -m64 -L/home/pg/ssl/lib -lcrypto -ldl -lz

 pkg-config --libs libssl
        -Wl,-R/home/pg/ssl/lib -m64 -L/home/pg/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto -ldl -lz

Afaict, the patch was submitted, but never merged the code with the
main codebase -- and I can find no further comments.

The patch is helpful -- especially in shared-host & multiple-instance cases.

Is there a particular reason it wasn't integrated?  Can it be?

Thanks.