I was trying to Generate DLL for SocketCommunication with Open SSL.
For This I downloaded OpenSSL0.9.8k and tried to install in my system. I followed the steps in Readme File and found that we need to install
1) need Perl for Win32.
2) and one of the following C compilers:
  * Visual C++
  * Borland C
  * GNU C (Cygwin or MinGW)
I tried with Visual C++ and GNU C but I was getting errors...
My openssl-0.9.8k is stored in c:\openssl-0.9.8k

Steps that i followed For Visuall C++ In the command Prompt
a)  c:\Perl\bin>perl config.pl VC-WIN32 --prefix = C:/newOpenssl
       /*    configuring perl......................          */  (Where the
prefix argument specifieswher   OpenSSL will be installed to.)
b)c:\openssl-0.9.8k>ms\do_masm

In the VC++ environment( I used visual studio 2005 prompt)

c)c:\openssl-0.9.8k> nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak

NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\BIN\c1.EXE"' : return code '0x2'

To install OpenSSL to the specified location do:

d)c:\openssl-0.9.8k> nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak install

First, you should be sending this to openssl-users, this is not appropriate
for -dev.

Second, what is 'config.pl'?  Reread the docs. You're supposed to use
'Configure' which is a perl script.  Also, why are you trying to execute
this from your C:\Perl\bin directory.  That's not right, the C:\Perl\bin
directory should be in your path, and you should be running the
perl Configure from within your c:\openssl-0.9.8k directory.

Third, when make fails, it usually helps to return the actual errors
rather than just the last line which is useless.  That said, I don't
think you ever actually ran Configure properly.

Finally, I compiled 0.9.8k with Visual Studio 2005 about 2 weeks ago,
no problems, so it definitely works.

-Brad