Sorry about the delayed response.  Travel.

From: Richard Levitte <rich...@levitte.org>

> sms> WIMP $ write sys$output f$getsyi( "VERSION")
> sms> V5.4
> sms> WIMP $ write sys$output f$getsyi( "HW_MODEL")
> sms> 49

> Hmmm, maybe I'm wrong then...  It's odd, because back when I decided
> to use f$getsyi("CPU"), I did hit some problems with "HW_MODEL" and
> "HW_NAME"...  But then, if those two exist in all VMS versions alive
> today, wouldn't it be even easier to use "HW_NAME"?

   Define "alive today".

ALP $ write sys$output f$getsyi( "HW_NAME")
COMPAQ Professional Workstation XP1000

   You mean "ARCH_NAME"?

ALP $ write sys$output f$getsyi( "ARCH_NAME")
Alpha

   I used "HW_MODEL" to detect VAX because I expect it to work on any
reasonable VMS version, and many unreasonable versions.  On non-VAX, I
used "ARCH_NAME", because I expect it to work on any and all non-VAX
systems, now and forever.  I suspect that "ARCH_NAME" would be fine on
any system where OpenSSL would work, but it seemed easy enough to me
to try for DCL which will work well enough to get the victim to a real
(non-DCL) failure on any system I can test.

   Also, the "HW_MODEL" test for VAX is used in the Info-ZIP build
procedures, so it's tested better than many other examples.  (Using
"ARCH_NAME" directly for the non-VAX systems was my big attempt at
moderization.  I _believe_ that it's good on all non-VAX systems, but I
wouldn't bet my life on it.  I know that it fails on old VAX versions.)

   It would be fine with me if DCL code chunks like that were extracted
into some common location for use by everyone, which would make changes
easier when the ideal algorithm is determined, but I was trying to
rewrite less than everything.  (It may not look that way, but I really
was being about as lazy as I could be.  Alphabetical file/module name
lists, for example, make it easier for a lazy person (like me) to find
something.)

   As always, wake me when you hit a mystery.