This patent expired 2 years ago, it seems 1.0.0 is a good time to
get this fixed... at least if it remains default-disabled, then the
justification should be noted (no longer "patented" but perhaps some
"deprecated" commentary?)

I think the changes are limited to the lines below...

README
------
  The MDC2 algorithm is patented by IBM.

---
  You can configure OpenSSL so as not to use IDEA, MDC2 and RC5 by using
  ./config no-idea no-mdc2 no-rc5
[...]
  FYI: Patent numbers and expiry dates of US patents:
  MDC-2: 4,908,861 13/03/2007

util/cygwin.sh
--------------
  CONFIG_OPTIONS="--prefix=/usr shared no-idea no-rc5 no-mdc2"

Configure
---------
  my %disabled = ( # "what"       => "comment" [or special keyword
"experimental"]
[...]
                 "mdc2"           => "default",
[...]
  # This is what $depflags will look like with the above defaults
  # (we need this to see if we should advise the user to run "make depend"):
  my $default_depflags = " -DOPENSSL_NO_GMP -DOPENSSL_NO_JPAKE
-DOPENSSL_NO_MD2 -DOPENSSL_NO_MDC2 -DOPENSSL_NO_RC5 -DOPENSSL_NO_RFC3779
-DOPENSSL_NO_STORE";

Miscellany
from util/mk1mf.pl
                "no-patents" =>
                        [\$no_rc2, \$no_rc4, \$no_rc5, \$no_idea, \$no_rsa],

Why RSA (expired in 2000)?  How are RC2, RC4 in this list.  Not patents.
Trademarks?

Also it seems odd this is recognized by mk1mf.pl - wrong place.  Should be
set up in Configure.  No?

Somewhere, perhaps add;

MDC2 was covered by a US patent issued to IBM which expired in March 2007.