A separate thread has dredged up some commentary on the OpenSSL based FIPS validations:

> ... I've been involved in two FIPS validations of vendor versions
> of OpenSSL. I think one of them may have been one of the first ones
> ever done.  I am aware of how much work you must have done to get
> things even into the state they are in today -- though I certainly
> didn't know it was unfunded.

 Yes, that's a key point.  The key point, actually.  We have had some
 funding, but the great bulk of that was spent on the test lab fees.
 I haven't kept track of the uncompensated volunteer effort but it
 easily totals to well over a man-year.  Alas, much of that effort was
 expended running in circles as we converged on a solution that would
 satisfy the peculiar requirements of FIPS 140-2.  In such
 circumstances the major challenge was not to implement the *best*
 solution, but to implement *a* working solution before time and money
 ran out.  We came very close to giving up at several points.

I want to point out that the original OpenSSL FIPS Object Module FIPS 140-2 validation was uniquely challenging, for all involved parties -- myself, the Open Source Software Institute, the OpenSSL team, the test lab (DOMUS ITL), and the bureaucrats at the CMVP. That effort quickly burned through the initial $85,000 in funding and dragged on for roughly five years. It would have cost many hundreds of thousands more if the OpenSSL and test lab work had been compensated at fair market rates. This first validation (and to some extent subsequent source code based validations) took so long because nothing like it had every been done before. This validation was the first to utilize source code *and* the first to allow static object module linking. To get there took all of us on a long journey through and around formal policy and processes not very attuned to software validations of any kind in the first place.

But, that experience is not representative of FIPS validations in general. Now that the precedent has been well established a typical *un*complicated single platform copycat or "private label" validation is just a matter of a vendor writing a check for $30,000 or so (pretty affordable as validations go). And waiting ... waiting ... waiting, of course...

Please note that this situation will only hold true until sometime next year, as the policy requirements will be changing and the current v1.2 validation will no longer be a rubber stamp template. No post-v1.2 validation is currently planned so there will no longer be a shared model suitable as-is for direct use or as a basis for private label validations.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.