commit 18494 changed how HAVE_FORK is dealt with in speed.c. The
original submitter
(http://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-dev@openssl.org/msg26278.html)
correctly stated that HAVE_FORK should be defined by the configure
script but wrongly assumed that it really was.

        it's not the case. Maybe autoconf does that, I'm not sure about
that. Anyway, the outcome of the change is this on any unix or unix-like
system because HAVE_FORK is not defined:

$ cd openssl-0.9.8m
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. apps/openssl speed rsa -multi 4
Error: bad option or value

Available values:
<snip>

Available options:
-elapsed        measure time in real time instead of CPU user time.
-engine e       use engine e, possibly a hardware device.
-evp e          use EVP e.
-decrypt        time decryption instead of encryption (only EVP).
-mr             produce machine readable output.

        as you can see, "multi" is ifdef'ed out from the helper string
as well. I'd send a patch but I'm not sure how you would like to fix it.
Use -DHAVE_FORK for all apropriate architectures in the Configure
script? Or do another fix in the speed.c source code?

        I guess the former aproach might be better, fixing it in speed.c
could bring the problem back again, just for yet another architecture
not specified in the #ifdef.

        cheers, Jan.

--
Jan Pechanec