I was asked this morning where to find the X.509 specification, since
http://itu.int/ is such a messy website.

I'll point you to the general location, because it's a better piece of information to
have than the exact location. (There are other recommendations that X.509 refers to, and
being able to find *all* of them is key to being able to understand the spec.)  The
sector that we are interested in is called "ITU-T, Standardization" (as opposed
to ITU-R, Radiocommunications).

http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/publications/Pages/recs.aspx

To get to X.509 from there, click the 'X' (above Y and Z), for 'Data networks, open
system communications and security". That'll take you to:
http://www.itu.int/itu-t/recommendations/index.aspx?ser=X . This is a tree view; you
want the node labelled 'X.500-X.599: Directory'. Then, select X.509 (it's the third
in the tree).

The 11/2008 version (Edition 6) is only available for a fee (85 Swiss Francs),
and so the version that I work from is Edition 5 (which is available for no
fee).

And, according to XE.com, CHF 1,00 represents USD $0.9626 at midmarket rates
today (2010/08/07).

-Kyle H