Hi Steve:

On 2010-11-15, at 11:43 AM, Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010, Patrick Patterson wrote:
>
> If you call CMS_dataInit() with a NULL BIO it should make use of any content
> already in the CMS structure. It does create a read only BIO internally for
> that purpose.

Ok - thanks for that tip - however, I'm still curious about 2 things:

1: Why SID isn't getting set.

2: And now that I add:

   BIO *tmp = CMS_dataInit(cms, NULL);
   err = ERR_get_error();
   if (err != 0)
           printf("ERROR: %s\n", ERR_error_string(err, NULL));

   CMS_dataFinal(cms, tmp);
   err = ERR_get_error();
   if (err != 0)
           printf("ERROR: %s\n", ERR_error_string(err, NULL));

Which, based one what you've indicated, should do the right thing, I am getting
the errors:

cms_DigestAlgorithm_init_bio: unknown digest algorithm
cms_DigestAlgorithm_find_ctx: no matching digest.

Now, if you examine the base64 output from my previous mail, and run it through
asn1_parse, you'll see that the SignedData structure does indeed have SHA1 set
as the MD, and SignerInfo also has the correct Algorithm set, so from my
reading of the two referenced functions, it should work. Any thoughts as to why
not?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

---
Patrick Patterson