Are you using cygwin? I don't use it myself, but I've heard it
fakes symlinks on Windows by a scheme something like that.

But if you've created actual files named hash.0, that should work.

To narrow it down, assuming you have a copy of the (any) cert
you want your program to verify, go to the certs directory and
try the commandline utility
  openssl verify -CApath . certfile
and see whether that works.

Depending on the server(s) you want to communicate with,
you might also try commandline s_client to see if it can
handshake (and thus verify), even if you don't do data.