Hi,

I'm wondering what your plan is with version numbering and
changing sonames for future versions of the library.  With
the 1.0.0 release you made it libssl.so.1.0.0 (and
libcrypto.so.1.0.0).

Current CVS HEAD seems to be having 1.1.0 as part of it's soname,
OpenSSL_1_0_1-stable still has 1.0.0.

So far you seem to be using 1.0.0X to do security updates,
and I assume that 1.0.1 will going to be the first non-security
update.

I'm planning on uploading a version based on 1.0.0 to Debian
soon.  And I would like to keep the current soname for the
rest of the release cycle.  The transition from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8
took over 2 years.  I also had to support both the 0.9.7 and
0.9.8 version at the same time, because some applications were
still linked to the old version.  I would like to avoid having
to maintain multiple versions.

So I hope that you will keep using the same soname as long as
possible.  If there is no reason to change it, please don't change
it.  Like the comment says in the header file, there is no
reason that the version of the library should match the soname.

So my question is basicly what do you think will happen in say
the next 2 years with version numbers and sonames?

Kurt