Hello,

if we do SSL/TSL client authentication, the current OpenSSL 1.0.0d
verifies the client certificate
upon reception of the Client Certificate message.

Let's consider I want to find out whether the server trusts a certain
CA I as an attacker am planning
to compromise. I would send some certificate signed by that CA and
then, it is possible to find out if
the server trusts that certificate by interpreting the alert being
returned. If the CA is trusted, the server
will complain about the Certificate Verify message being wrong,
otherwise it will inform me that the CA
is untrusted.

1. Couldn't this be considered as a weakness?

2. Wouldn't it be better to send a less revealing alert in this case?

3. Or is this no risk at all and I am overlooking something important?

Thanks in advance,
Martin Bosslet