You mean X509_NAME_print_ex_fp. C cares about details like that.

>       XN_FLAG_ONELINE is causing a crash during SSL_connect but calling
> it with no flags works.

What version(s)? In 1.0.0d (and probably earlier but I didn't look)
send_fp_chars calls plain fwrite instead of going through uplink
as I believe it needs to for an app-supplied fp (on Windows DLL).

I assume 'no flags' means 0 which is officially XN_FLAG_COMPAT.
That uses the old non-ex code with a fileBIO, which uses UP_fwrite
and therefore should work. (No flags at all wouldn't compile.)

This looks like a bug to me, and I am copying to -dev (I hope).
I think it will work if you similarly create a temporary fileBIO
for X509_NAME_print_ex!not_fp! with all other args as desired.