I have just downloaded openssl-1.0.0e and attempted to compile on
openssl-1.0.0.e on Solaris 10/Sparc platform
using GCC 3.4.6 and found that the make fails immediately.  I had installed
1.0.0.d a few weeks earlier with no problems.
Afer 1.0.0e failed, as a test, I repeated the openssl-1.0.0d and the make
proceeds to completion.
Nothing on my system changed between the two tests.

Below are the results for the 1.0.0e build. It appears to be not be finding gcc
as it attempts to use cc.

Is there a possible bug or new preequisite introduced for 1.0.0e?

thank you.

Warren Zaccone
Software Engineer, Telcordia Technologies.

results for 1.0.0e
apachedir=/usr/local/apache

./config --openssldir=$apache_dir/ssl shared --prefix=$apache_dir/ssl
make