http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=2435&user=guest&pass=guest
http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=2440&user=guest&pass=guest

Are there plans to revisit this before 1.0.1 GA, and is anyone working
on this broken schema?  It seems the GA would be a great time to get
this right.

Also from win32's asm build, all of the script invocations forgot to
include the nasm/masm(ml64) command line arg... the entire windows build
doesn't appear to be very deterministic in terms of picking an assembler
and sticking to it.

I'd work on this, but from these 15 month old tickets I don't have much
confidence in any patches being adopted.  If we beta testers invest some
time in trashing the ugliness, is there a committer who would commit to
reviewing and committing fixes?  I'd love to avoid a fork on this.