On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 02:30:29PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 March 2012 14:25:32 Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:

> > > i don't see mention of ABI compat changes, and it seems to not be
> > > compatible. did someone forget to update the version string in
> > > crypto/opensslv.h ?  it still says "1.0.0" ...
> >
> > Can you be more specific about "seems to not be compatible".
>
> if the versions were compatible, there should be no warning when running apps
> with openssl-1.0.1 that were built against openssl-1.0.0*.  but there is:
>       OpenSSL version mismatch. Built against 1000005f, you have 1000100f

As far as I know, we disabled most such checks in Debian because
they're not really useful.  I can change the ABI without changing
the version, or have the same ABI with a different version.  If
it's not compatible the soname should have changed.  The
appliation shouldn't go and second guess that it's really
compatible or not.

And if the soname stays the same but the ABI is not compatible, we
also have ways to deal with that.

Kurt