On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 01:52:22PM +0200, Stephen Henson via RT wrote:
> > [steve - Sun Mar 25 13:11:30 2012]:
> >
> > I've done some more tests and it seems that the size of the client hello
> > message is significant: all the options that work reduce the size of
> > client hello. If you use the -debug option and check out the first
> > message bytes 4 and 5 it seems those servers hang if the length exceeds
> > 0xFF (using two bytes instead of one).
> >

> If you use the option "-servername <very long string>" you can precisely
> control the size of the client hello. If you use that to make client
> hello long enough you get the hang with OpenSSL 1.0.0h and earlier as well.

So I'm getting more and more reports of sites that have a problem
since 1.0.1.  They basicly fall in 2 categories:
- They don't tolerate versions higher than TLS 1.0
- They don't like big packets.

Of the 2nd case I have at least found people complain about those
sites:
- www.facebook.com
- www.paypal.com
- sourceforge.net