I have a common c library on top of openssl to abstract it from our
applications we use for devices and servers.  We can easily plug in any
version of openssl going forward. On Android we had an existing jni wrapper
for our common library that I compile with android ndk.

Wouldn't it be most appropriate to link together OpenSSL, your lib and JNI to single .so and be done with it? Even more appropriate would be to limit exported symbols to JNI methods so that other components don't "contaminate" dynamic linker name space nor library itself won't fall victim to "contamination". Latter is by all means is definition of "error-prone."