We compile our application with -DOPENSSL_MAX_TLS1_2_CIPHER_LENGTH=50 to avoid
the
server hang described in the Changelog for 1.0.1a. However, I have now
encountered
a server that  fails to handshake with openssl (the command line tool or e.g.
curl
linked against libopenssl) if openssl has been built with
-DOPENSSL_MAX_TLS1_2_CIPHER_LENGTH=50
Building without this option (or values >=124) or forcing sslv3 or tlsv1 works
even
with this  server, independent of the CIPHER_LENGTH option.

Is it possible to work around this in openssl, or is this an bug or
configuration
problem of the server?

$ ./apps/openssl s_client -connect d2kqn7a3b4vhhs.cloudfront.net:443
WARNING: can't open config file: /usr/local/ssl/openssl.cnf
CONNECTED(00000003)
2886126188:error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert
handshake failure:s23_clnt.c:741:
---
no peer certificate available
---