On Thu Feb 14 04:35:05 2013, rs...@akamai.com wrote:

> > Unfortunately some platforms can't automatically build the files
> e.g. WIN32, VMS.
>
> Okay, so those targets shouldn't get invoked?
> Or are you saying that you WANT the build to fail on those
> platforms?

Ah so you're saying the files would be retained in tarballs and under version
control just deleted before being recreated?

[I might have misinterpeted this. Sometimes it is suggested that all auto
generated files should be deleted from the tarballs... which we can't do for
the reasons stated]

> > # objects.pl both reads and writes obj_mac.num
> >
> obj_mac.h: objects.pl objects.txt obj_mac.num
> > + $(RM)
> obj_mac.num $@
> > $(PERL) objects.pl objects.txt obj_mac.num $@
> @sleep 1; touch
> > obj_mac.h; sleep 1
> > + chmod 444 obj_mac.num
> $@
> >

> > Deleting obj_mac.num is a bad idea. It contains the NID
> values which are added to over time. If you delete that file the
> recreated version is almost certain to have a different NID
> assignment which breaks binary compatibility.
>
> Okay. Then would
> you be interested in patch to objects.pl and the Makefile that
> created obj_mac.new and the Makefile replaced the file?

Can you explain the problem with the current system?

Steve.