From: owner-openssl-...@openssl.org [owner-openssl-...@openssl.org] on behalf
of Ben Laurie [b...@links.org]
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 14:16
To: openssl-dev@openssl.org
Subject: Re: Question on encryption algorithms brittleness

On 11 March 2013 11:09, Ido Regev <ido.re...@ecitele.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I haven't found a reply to the specific question the customer is asking me.
>
> Any other direction will be greatly appreciated.

The problem is that the spec is rather vague - who knows what I might
invent as a custom build to break their particular encryption? It
seems to me to be impossible to predict such a thing, e.g. look at
Deep Crack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFF_DES_cracker), which
turned out to be substantially cheaper than off-the-shelf computers,
or TWINKLE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWINKLE), which no-one has
built yet, AFAIK.

For this to be actionable, it probably needs to specify the type of
thing one would spend the million euros on (e.g. commodity PCs).

> Ido

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential material. They
are intended solely for the use of the designated individual or entity to whom
they are addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, use, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

If you have received this email in error please immediately notify the sender
and delete or destroy any copy of this message