I hit a bug when inputting an x509 certificate into openssl. My CA is
Entrust.net, and they have some certificates for download that have no line
endings in the encoding. This causes openssl parser to fail when it tries
to read the certificate, even thought the certificate is valid. Here is the
response from Entrust.net:

I checked into this formatting question some more for you.  The Certificate