On 9/18/2013 8:48 AM, Alon Bar-Lev via RT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wanted to note that finish is also required to allow cleaning up
> resources.

In the ecs_locl.h in the current ecdsa_method structure the init and finish are
"#if 0"
out. So far this it has not been needed.

The mods I sent in were based on not needing an init or finish function.

Since the RSA_METHOD structure is exposed in rsa.h, I was expecting
that moving the definition of the ECDSA_METHOD from ecs_locl.h to
ecdsa.h would be the best way to expose this structure.

The argument was that if changes were needed to this structure there
could be incompatibility issues across releases. While moving this definition,
in the next release, the "#if 0" could be removed, so an init and finish
would be available.

Maybe if we can hash out what needs to be in the structure,for the next
releaase, including an init and finish entry, we can get a stable structure
that can be exposed like the RSA_METHOD is today.

The OpenSSL people need to address the issue.

> Any ETA on this? very important if we want to use ec based hardware
> cryptography.

Yes I too feel this is very important if we want to be able to use
EC in hardware.

> Thanks,
> Alon Bar-Lev

  Douglas E. Engert  <deeng...@anl.gov>