On Thu, Jan 02, 2014, Salz, Rich wrote:

> > So Curve25519 needs a standard OID and some notes on the format to use for
> > ASN.1. Does such a thing exist?
>
> I don't think so.  Perhaps the TLS list is the place to discuss this?  Should
> we (I?) start a thread there on a proposal to fit Curve25519 into common TLS
> usage?
>
> Strawman proposal:
>       The keys are OCTET STRING (or does BIGNUM fit better with existing
> code?)
>       Y is fixed at zero
>       An OID is assigned from the IETF arc
>
> Anything else missing?

Well ideally it needs to be as close as possible to RFC5280 which is a PKIX
document and the group has now closed... great timing. But that ends up with
point compression rearing its ugly head.

It's not much use though if it takes a glacial time scale to get an OID
assigned (or preferably several OIDs AFAICS).

> I can ask djb but I bet he *really* doesn't care. :)

Well if he doesn't that's fine. I'd otherwise feel a bit guilty ats
"appropriating" his curve with an OID.

Steve.