On 03/30/2014 03:39 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 11:20:51AM +0200, Steffen Ullrich via RT wrote:

>> - probably useful: while no RFC currently forbids something like *.com you
>>   have a check to disallow wildcards in the two rightmost suffixes. I think
>>   it makes sense to have that, although it is not sufficient (e.g. *.co.uk
>>   should also not be allowed). But doing this 100% correct will be tricky,
>>   because there is currently no definition of correct behavior in this area:
>>   While chrome disallows *.co.uk firefox allows it.
>
> Such a policy would be too complex for OpenSSL, and will be even
> more complex to get right once all the new TLDs ICANN is blessing
> us with come online.

I think the current best approach to this is the "public suffix list",
http://publicsuffix.org/ it's a horrible kludge (a fully-enumerated list
of all zones that are known to allow registration of sub-zones to the
public), but it's better than just counting labels.

there are a few C libraries that could be used to make this abstraction
available to OpenSSL (if building against external libraries is OK)
without requiring much extra work in OpenSSL itself.

        --dkg